Scripture of the Day

Sunday, March 7, 2010

What are you reading?

As the web address of this blog implies, leaders are readers. So what are you reading? We discussed this in the past, but it is so important I wanted to bring it up again.

When I interview a prospective employee for a position requiring strong leadership skills, I'll always ask the following question.

"What was the last book you read cover to cover?" The answer will ultimately determine whether I move forward or pass on this person.

In order to lead to must read. There is no substitute for reading. Listening to audio books while driving is an excellent habit and one you should do. Reading however stands all alone on top as the number one activity all successful and effective leaders participate in.

I have recently finished "The Map" by David Murrow. The review was posted last week. Other books I am currently reading are as follows:

In the Zone, Joe Pettigrew and Kyle Rote, Jr
Everything Counts, Steve Case
Leadership Promises for Everyday, John Maxwell
The Leadership Bible NKJV, John Maxwell

These books are all designed to be read daily, so I am also reading:

Magic of Thinking Big, David Schwartz (5th time)
Elements of Style, Strunk and White

I am looking for a new book to read as we speak, if you have any suggestions,, let me know.

Please respond with what you are currently reading.

1 comment:

  1. I was just notified that I was selected as the recipient of the free copy of "God and Guiness". Last week I was selected as one of the recipients of "Crush It" so I'll have two books to read.

    Thanks to Michael Hyatt and Paul Steinbrueck.

    ReplyDelete