Scripture of the Day

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Preparation

As we discussed yesterday a critical part of preparation is the planning phase. Time management is often talked about, but can we really manage time? Probably not, we can manage our priorities and our commitments though. Time happens regardless whether we do anything or not. How we manage our commitments and priorities is what really counts.

I learned years ago to plan out everything that is critically important well in advance. This includes church, family time, personal recreation time, and business appointments. I use my planning system, my outlook and my cell phone to keep track of all these events. Cell phones are awesome tools to keep track of recurring events. I also make sure i set adequate reminders so I'm not caught off guard.

Once this is done I enter additional events and appointments as they come up and before you know it you have turned yourself into an organized person. You end up reaping the reward of more free time to enjoy yourself because you sowed the seeds of proper planning.

One of the major foundations of my leadership philosophy is sowing good seeds and reaping good harvest. You can fall back to this in any area of life because good habits lead to good results. And habits are formed by doing the right things repeatedly. I really hope you get what I am laying out here.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your ability to focus your effort over the areas you have complete control. In my experience, leaders often waste valuable effort worrying about issues over which they have little or no control over.

    In my practice, time is used as a measurement tool to gauge how well I am meeting my commitments and priorities.

    If I make a commitment to accomplish a particular task, I need to make sure I develope a plan that has a clearly defined timeline so that I am able to hold myself accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Benjamin,
    Holding ourselves accountable is a big key towards establishing and maintaining our credibility. Thanks for your comment look forward to hearing more from you.

    James

    ReplyDelete